Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Flying to Hong Kong in Style

As I walked into the airport the morning of our flight to Hong Kong, I saw my friends Ann and Jenny at the Cathy Pacific check-in counter. Why in the world is Ann dressed like she's going out on a date when she's going to be sitting on a plane for 15 hours straight?! I quickly understood - as I got in line to get checked in, Ann motions for me to go up to the counter. Apparently, she was at the airport before the rest of us and the man behind the counter gave her a free upgrade to business class! Then when the rest of us showed up, he upgraded the three of us too just because we were her friends. AND we got seats right next to each other on the plane, what a nice man :) It made me think of the beauty of God's grace - one person does the hard work but the rest of us who were dressed like slobs were given the same status even though we didn't deserve it. I learned something new that day - the likelihood of getting upgraded is higher if you dress like you belong in business class.

Flying business class on a 15 hour flight is awesome. I couldn't get over how many fun buttons there were to press. We got menus for our meals, and as many snacks (not peanuts, but like real beef noodle soup) as we want. I wish I could have eaten more, but I started to not feel well that morning. If we didn't have business class it would have been so much worse - at least I was able to lie down, I was hot then cold then hot, then my whole body started getting sore, and I kept having to run to the bathroom. I was seriously nervous that I may end up with a fever and get stuck at the airport. But everything worked out fine as we headed for the hotel to start our very full evening.

Hanging out in the British Airways lounge. Free breakfast and drinks. Sigh.

















My seat! Seriously, people knew we didn't fly business very often - we were all taking pictures of each other and playing with all the buttons.



































Look at how many ways I can move my seat!!!!























Twilight was one of the movies showing - I resisted the urge to see that horrible movie again and instead watched Bride Wars, haha.

















I still can't believe we had a menu AND a wine list



































I had scallops - as an APPETIZER. I felt like I was in a NYC restaurant.

















The starter for my breakfast. I think I had seafood congee as main course. It was so delicious.

















Thanks Ann for such an awesome start to the trip! She planned everything, flights, hotels, day tours, itinerary. Amazing girl to travel with. The only thing you'll have to accept is that you will be very tired by the time you get home - but it will never be a boring trip and you'll definitely get your money's worth, hahaha.

2 comments:

Jaly said...

this flying business class is AWESOME! i bet made ur flight so much more bearable!

Gina Ferrara said...

Cathay Pacific has better food choices than Gainesville...omg!

So glad you're having fun and staying healthy :)