Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day at the Zoo

It was an interesting end to the work day today. Around 6pm when we're supposed to be able to leave the office, my boss's entire class showed up at the office. My boss teaches a class in the city and he likes to give them some perspective of the 'real' world by inviting them in to the office and show them around. So I'm trying to leave at 6pm, and see a mob of people in the lobby where the door to the elevator is. Great, I guess I can't leave just yet, it'd look bad for my boss. So I go back to my office and wait until the coast is clear to make a dash for the door. The office is a square so once they start to move towards one direction, I can go in the other direction and miss them. Then as they started to come around the offices, I realized that he was literally introducing all of the employees to the students as they were passing by the offices. Great, I guess I should stay until he introduces me. I hear him introduce the intern to his students by asking him to tell them what his SAT score in math was - of course, he said 800 (he's Chinese). Great, am I the only Chinese person who didn't get a perfect score in math? My office mate scrambles to clear off his desk a little as he finds a packet of paper and starts reading. I quickly open a book that was already in my bag and put my head down, looking engrossed in what was on the page, just as my boss walked by. He introduced the two of us and a few of the students smiled at us, I smiled back out of politeness. After he leaves, the rest of the class trails behind and one by one they glance in the office. It was like we were a bunch of monkeys at the zoo, and they were observing us in our natural habitats, hahaha. Except I don't think the monkeys have to pretend to look busy when people walk by. And as they headed into another office, I went around the other way and out the front door. I was home free!

1 comment:

Gina Ferrara said...

lol, that is hilarious