Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tetanus Shot

Yesterday I went to the doctor to get two shots - one of which is tetanus. He said that it's effective for 10 years, and asked if I might have gotten it recently. You're supposed to get this shot if you've had an injury as it helps prevent infection. I had a head injury 5 years ago, but said that I didn't remember if they gave me the shot in the hospital. The doctor (who is this little elderly Chinese man, he's so cute) chuckled and said that I would remember if I had this shot. He said that it makes your arm swell up for a couple of days. So I got both shots on one arm in one day (I don't know why I didn't tell them to do it on my right arm, since I'm a lefty). I figured, I've been through worse things than a little swelling on my arm. Boy did I underestimate the power of the tetanus shot. I was fine for about 8 hours, then my arm got heavier and hurt more as I moved. By the evening, it hurt even to type! I barely slept because it hurt whether or not I moved. My poor arm, it's so swollen. You know how you're not supposed to press your arm against your side in pictures, because it makes your arm look fat? Yeah, do NOT get the tetanus shot before formal pictures. The doctor wasn't kidding - I would have remembered getting this shot, and I don't think I'll ever forget it.

1 comment:

Jaly said...

interesting... head injury... hmm..