Monday, August 25, 2008

Day in NYC

Last Saturday, I went with a few friends from church into the city. It was interesting because I never used to plan a 'day in the city' because I lived there. But it was a fun adventure. We started out in Chinatown - for dim sum of course! I've never gone to dim sum with a group of people who spoke Cantonese before, so it was nice to not have to order anything, especially since I think they're nicer to customers to speak Cantonese. Afterwards, we went for bubble tea. The tapioca balls were the PERFECT texture. It was such a beautiful sunny day, so we walked around for a little while.

I love walking in the city, but I forget that for people who aren't used to it, it could be boring and tiring. So we took the subway to midtown and walked around Rockefeller Center, where we saw a pretty serious accident that had just happened. It was really scary. Which reminds me, you need to be careful when crossing the streets in NYC! I was crossing Park Avenue the other day and there are 3 lanes going in each direction, with a wide divider in the middle (with trees and such). I got to the divider and the light turned red so I stopped and stood on the divider. I usually stand at the edge of the divider but that day, before I could even walk up to the edge, a cab driver was trying to squeeze by another cab driver and drove UP the divider! If I had been two steps ahead of where I was, it would have hit me. SO be alert and stay away from the edge of the sidewalks.

Our group was pretty indecisive so we (the two of us who work in the city) decided on going to the Museum of Natural History. This is where it got embarrassing. I asked if he knew where it was (I always get confused as to whether it's on the east or west side). He said east. So we took the uptown on the east side. Oh, and here is the heroic picture after Joe saved the day by chasing after a woman who left her iphone on the bus and nearly got run over by traffic.

















So we walk into the museum, and I see a PAINTING off in the distance and I said, uh.... this is the MET. LOL. For someone who lived in the city for 4 years, I cannot tell people I am a New Yorker. Oh well, so we ended up spending some time at the MET. There was a very interesting superheros exhibit. Afterwards, we walked through Central Park to get to the west side (where the Museum of Natural History is, haha). And what do you know, we kept getting lost in Central Park. There is no straight path, it winds and curves all over the place!


















After an hour in the park, we made it to the right museum. I was pooped. My co-worker met us at the museum (she waited for me for an hour because we took an unintended detour to the Met).





































The whale still looks the same as he did 10 years ago ....
















Cute pic :)


















After a long day of walking and burning off calories, we earned a Korean BBQ meal in K-town!

















Then we were so full that we decided to walk to Port Authority, haha!

1 comment:

Sia said...

you are too funny...I will not mention the MET/AMNH incident to you in person...